Saturday, October 2, 2010

A New Challenge

Entry #25

I've got a few minutes, so decided to write a short entry today.

I've met my treadmill goal this week and pushed a little more. While browsing other blogs this past week an exercise program called Couch to 5K caught my eye. It's a gradual training program to build strength and stamina. So, I've started adding short periods (2 to 3 minutes) of slow jogging (3.7 mph) to my time on the treadmill. These jogging times are interspersed throughout my 45 minutes on the treadmill. I was a little reluctant to do this as I was concerned about damaging my knees because of my weight. But, so far everything seems fine. I've even gone so far as to actually consider entering a 5K someday. Notice the word consider is in italics. The thought of running in front of others in public doesn't exactly appeal to me right now. If anyone is interested, the website is http://www.coolrunning.com/.

Now onto the next challenge. Today there is a multi-decade high school reunion being held in my hometown of Escalon, CA. I'm looking forward to seeing many old friends and I understand there will also be some teachers in attendance. It should be a good time. My years in high school were the best of my school career. I enjoyed them more than any other time, including college. So, I'm excited about this gathering. However, there's going to be a potluck dinner where there will, no doubt, be many wonderful offerings. The plan right now is to have plenty of Diet Pepsi on hand and steer clear of the table or at least make good choices. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I love C25K!

    I did the program this summer, finished it, ran a 5K, then stopped. :(

    I really miss running, though and need to get back into it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by from FMM. I actually started the C25K program today! For a non runner, it's tough...so I think I might stretch it out a little longer for me. You can download podcasts that will tell you when to run/walk. It was really helpful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been nervous about running too, because of my knees. Starting it on the treadmill is a good idea. Go for the 5K! Not sure where you live, but if you're near South Florida, I might be game.

    ReplyDelete